- Thousand Oaks: At least 12 killed at California bar shooting
The bar was hosting a university student country music night when a gunman opened fire.
- Trump-Russia probe ‘under threat’ after Sessions fired
Donald Trump’s opponents raise fears over the inquiry after he fired his attorney general.
- China’s ‘AI newsreader': Which of these isn’t real?
China’s Xinhua news agency says it has developed an artificial intelligence newsreader.
- Helge Ingstad: Warship collides with tanker in fjord
Norway evacuates a frigate after it collides with a tanker, leaving seven people lightly injured.
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg: US Supreme Court judge fractures ribs in fall
Ruth Bader Ginsburg, 85, suffered three rib fractures in a fall, a court spokeswoman says.
- Iraq’s PM picks five ministers from online applications
Candidates had to state which ministry they wanted to lead after the public was invited to apply.
- Pakistan blasphemy case: Asia Bibi freed from jail
It was initially unclear whether she had left the country, but officials say she is still in Pakistan.
- Australia ramps up Pacific spending amid China debate
A new multi-billion dollar fund is widely seen as an attempt to counter China’s influence.
- Virat Kohli causes uproar with ‘leave India’ comment
The cricketer was responding to a fan who said he preferred Australian and English batsmen.
- Hundreds of buffaloes drown ‘fleeing lions’ in Botswana
Some think the buffaloes were running away from lions when they got stuck in the Chobe River.
- White House suspends credentials for CNN’s Jim Acosta
Jim Acosta was called a “terrible person” by President Trump after he refused to stop asking questions.
- Spain Sánchez ‘attack plot': Police arrest gun suspect
A man arrested in the Catalonia region was allegedly seeking revenge for plans to exhume Franco.
- Oscar-winning Love Story composer Francis Lai dies at 86
The Frenchman also composed the BBC Panorama theme tune and performed with Edith Piaf.
- Jeff Sessions: how Trump turned on an early ally
Jeff Sessions was one of Donald Trump’s earliest supporters, but their relationship soured long before he was asked to resign.
- Nancy Pelosi: The return of the woman Republicans love to hate
After the Democrats took back the House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi is back in the spotlight.
- First ‘retirement home’ for showbiz beluga whales
Beluga whales held in a Chinese marine park are to be moved to a more natural habitat in Iceland.
- Ukraine Handzyuk death: Acid victim’s defiant message
The funeral is held for Kateryna Handzyuk, who spoke out against corruption before she died.
- Oldest cave painting of an animal discovered in Borneo
Scientists spent several days trekking through rural Borneo to find the 40,000-year-old artwork.
- Mid-term election results: Women make history in Congress
The youngest women, the first Muslim women and the first Native American women are elected to Congress.
- Mid-term election results: The story of the night in two minutes
The Democrats have taken control of the US House of Representatives. Here’s how it happened.
- US man wins three times in one day playing scratch cards
A New Jersey man wins three in a row on scratch cards including the top prize.
- Dutchman, 69, brings lawsuit to lower his age 20 years
Emile Ratelband wants to officially change his birth date by 20 years to boost his Tinder prospects.
- Moscow beavers resist dam destruction
Beavers fight back after Moscow developers destroy their habitat.
- Kazakh pensioner ‘back from the dead’
A Kazakh pensioner comes home two months after his funeral.
- Russian glitch voids 5m traffic tickets
Tech glitch lets millions of Moscow traffic offenders off the hook.
- Finland: Where second-hand comes first
As concern grows about climate change and resources, is it time to re-use more of our junk?
- Choppy waters for Greek shipping sector
Greece’s key shipping industry – the biggest in the world – is going to be greatly affected by the US ban on Iranian oil exports.
- The Caribbean honours its overlooked WW1 soldiers
Sixteen thousand men and women from the Caribbean voluntarily enlisted for WW1.
- Allahabad: The name change that killed my city’s soul
The ancient city of Allahabad is the birthplace of some of India’s most famous writers, politicians and scientists.
- How the VBS ‘bank heist’ sparked a parliamentary brawl in South Africa
The collapse of a rural bank reveals the extent of corruption in South Africa.